09 January 2010

I TOOK THE TEST TO BE A U.S. CENSUS TAKER

I took the test to be a U.S. Census taker! I wanted to see if I would pass - and I did with a near perfect score. Now, as I was taking this test, I couldn't help but think how VALUABLE the INFORMATION I might collect will be for FUTURE GENEALOGISTS!

There is a LOT to learn from past census, including historical ATTITUDES about people!

I don't know if I'll get to do my neighborhood or not.

Here is what has been explained to me. THE UNITED STATES IS GOING TO DO THE MOST MASSIVE MAILING IN HISTORY, hoping that the vast majority of us will reply - and honestly!

THEN, those who HAVE NOT MAILED IN THEIR INFORMATION will be approached the old fashioned way when a census taker comes to the house and asks the head of household about the family!

Just to make this more difficult in Los Angeles, which is considered to be the MOST DIFFICULT area to census take, those who walk the neighborhoods will have to deal with more than pit bulls and raving but adorable chihuahuas! They will mostly likely encounter people who do not speak English - in a place where voters information comes in Japanese, Chinese, Viet Names, and Thai - but ILLEGAL ALIENS...

Should they be afraid?

We know that immigrants to the United States in the 1910 and 1920 census were not especially afraid but things have changed since that immigration.

We'll keep you posted!

Christine