11 February 2010

TRUE LOVE an anthology ROBERT FULGHUM : ANCESTRY WORSHIP GENEALOGY BOOK RECOMMENDATION


Robert Fulghum : "Have you noticed the part incredible coincidence and dumb luck play in these stories? ... We figure that we had a window of opportunity of about thirty seconds and would never ever have crossed paths again. ... She wishes she could rewind the film of her life and take a closer look at who was in some of the scenes with her. ... What one person might describe as the near-miss of a great love another person might call a close escape from a fate worse than death...
 


Ancestry Worship Genealogy here: The best story in my opinion was sent in by Patrick Godfrey, His is a story of a man who was "physically, emotionally, and financially bankrupt years ago after a divorce and becoming the single parent of two sons aged nine and ten. He decided he had to find the first love of his life, "Margery," who he had spent his teenage years with. Patrick Godfrey: "I reached for the South Bay telephone directory and began looking up people by Margery's maiden name... I felt very, very strongly about this - compelled to act. The next morning I left Rolling Hills at 7:30 a.m. to cross the Los Angeles basin for Hollywood, where I worked. For no apparent reason I decided to go a different way. I took a left, I headed for the San Diego Freeway, a direction I seldom went since it was a long way to get to work... As I approached the freeway along with millions of other commuters, I was stopped by the red light... While I was waiting a tan van pulled up alongside me and began honking... She raised her dark glasses up over her forehead and it was her! ... Margery!... I was stunned. I put my forehead on the steering wheel and began to cry..." 8 months later they were married. 


The book is C 1997 the author published by HarperCollins