30 June 2010

FREE IS FREE (LOOK UPS THAT IS)

Genealogy research is one of the most fascinating experiences of my life, but long ago I gave up on posting messeges on chat boards and through clubs, because it has turned out to be a time and hope waster. I have yet to ever find someone willing to do a little free for me while I do a little free for them. And believe me, when I was newer at this I tried, writing to historical societies and the like and never once getting so much as a postcard in return.

I FIND THAT MOST OF THE "FREE LOOK UPS" are defunct (the e-mail no longer works or the person quit after their first burst of enthusiasm) or used as free advertising by someone who really wants to be paid for genealogy research ; wrong because it's bait and switch.

I'm sure some well meaning souls are really willing to do a little this and that for you for no charge, since they have the books right on their shelf or live next door to the local library, but most of the time when I asked I got no response at all or someone looked something up in the index but would not elaborate without my sending money. Since I live in a major city and have access to several libraries and genealogy societies I have access to research materials that many small towners don't and often all it takes is ordering a microfilm in to research another place in the United States.

SO JUST BE WARY WHEN ANYONE CLAIMS FREE ; YOU'LL PROBABLY GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR.