10 February 2011

EXCELLENT RESEARCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN POSTING PLEAS FOR INFORMATION OR FAMILY STORIES!

I've been researching genealogy and family history, society and culture, in one way or another for many years, well before the Internet or on line databases or research clubs, which are often organized by a locality, ethnicity, or surname.

In the first couple years in which I also implimented the Internet for my research I posted pleas for information, hoping to meet and cooperate with other researchers. It felt exciting to do so at the time.

Today I regret the postings, which did not result in any matches and are still showing on the net with, sadly, bits of misinformation because I posted based on what family was telling me hoping mutual stories would prove to be familial links.

I regret also because I've spent many useless hours reading other people's pleas to no avail AND HAVE FOUND THAT MOST POSTERS HAVE DONE LITTLE TO NO RESEARCH and ARE HOPING MEETING RELATIONS ON THE NET WILL RESULT IN HAVING SOMEONE ELSE'S HARD WON RESEARCH GIVEN TO THEM.

Today I see these chat room pleas as time wasters for another reason: because when it comes to research, you cannot depend on or accept somebody else's, especially when you will never have in person interaction with this person to know if they bring character and values into their research, or at least professional standards even if there is no financial transaction or basis. I've found errors even in the LDS submissions that members have provided the church as documentation in order to begin the process of Holy Ordinances.

You are almost always better off researching, documenting, and keeping to professional standards consistently (with always an open mind that you might be operating on assumptions based in family stories and may find error in your thinking or research at some point) then reaching out to or depending on strangers. '

Sometimes family stories are proven right, sometimes wrong. At best they are inspirational.