15 July 2012

DOG DNA : MY NEW DOG IS A MIX : BUT WHAT I'M SEEING ON THE OUTSIDE MAY NOT BE HER DNA ON THE INSIDE

Took my new (old) dog to the vet recently and asked him if he agreed about her mixture from the looks of her. She's a rescue animal. My heart just sunk when I saw that she and her photo had been removed from the kennel where I'd visited her before, and heard she had just been "pulled." I apparently got her just a few minutes after she was to go to doggie Auschwitz.

She's in the MALTIPOO (Maltese - Poodle) category, at least from the looks of her hair, but I got her shaved of any fancy hairdoo and don't plan to go nutty with hair bows and so on. (I've never liked the Poodle or Maltese look, though I think this dog is beautiful. I picked her for her sweet personality.)

It's simply too hot here in Southern California to keep a dog that was meant to live in the snow belt, and so has a big coat, at least I think so. I don't want to run air conditioning all the time and frankly think it would be unfair to her, especially when the pavement is over 100 degrees and I see how fast she's run-walking with those little feet.

I told the vet that I thought knowing what breed an animal is might help me with her diet, her innate habits, and make me more knowledgeable about what ailments she's inclined to have. I told him I was very interested in DNA.

He told me that many of his clients had their dog's DNA run and that I would be very surprised, some small dogs turned out to be mostly large dogs genetically, and so looks are not such a great way to predict what might be happening inside.

My new (old) dog managed to leap over a barrier twice her height the first night she was with me so she is fearless. She also learned that whimpering will make me feel sorry for her and let her sleep with me. I'm delighted to say that within the week she has started to take her responsibility of alerting me to intruders very seriously. Like any new mom I've been living around her, worrying over her poops and if she's drinking enough water and why she hates her dog food.

HAVE YOU HAD YOUR DOG'S DNA TESTED?