15 October 2012

A SPIRITUAL TIME OF YEAR : NO HALLOWEEN HORROR FOR ME!

Halloween is coming and I will not be participating in the ghoulish aspect of it, the horror, the violence.  I won't be watching fright films meant to keep me awake or contemplate evil or decorate my home with  plastic spiders, rubber ghouls, or foam gravestones cob-webbed with spun foam.  A harvest wreath is more my style.

I'm not sure what the evolution from spiritual time of year, when communication with the dead was thought to be especially good in Pagan traditions, to dream upsetting horror as a celebration was. 

I feel sure that our ancestors who lived an agricultural life were much more acquainted with death and the cycle of life that includes death than we, who buy our meat in supermarkets far from the reality of raising animals and killing them for food, or digging the graves for those who died and burying them on family property.  Recently I was excited to hear about a discovery of a burial not far from where I live of some Colonials, which was under railroad tracks that had been removed.  I wonder where the skeletons were taken!

Checking to see if FIND A GRAVE has added anyone related to me to their database is more my style.

Halloween is coming and I will not be participating in the partying, the outrageous, the costumes and masks. It seems to me there are other, better times for masked balls, for displaying alter egos.  Using an old family recipe for pumpkin pie and having a single goblet of wine with a special dinner is more my style.

Halloween is coming and I will be participating in remembering the dead.  I'll be doing that by working on my personal family history story, by photographing old photos (something I've been meaning to do for such a long long time) so that I can upload them onto a genealogy program I use, and by lighting a candle for those friends who passed in the last year.

C 2012 Ancestry Worship Genealogy  All Rights Reserved Including Internet and International Rights