21 September 2013

DUCK DUCK GO, YAHOO, BING and GOOGLE

Duck Duck Go, Yahoo, and Bing, are currently the search engines that compete with Google.  Since this Google Blogger is gratis the Google company, I always use Google to find it.  I feel lucky to be able to blog without paying for the opportunity, though I do put a lot of energy and effort into it, which is my contribution.

I was amazed to find out, when a library I use changed their search engine to Bing, that the ranking of this blog is number one or higher than on the Google search engine itself at Bing, and at Duck Duck Go, the search engine that is taking over a lot of Google and Yahoo's business since the NSA/ Edward Snowden news.  One of the reasons for this is the paid advertising that comes up for companies with names similar to the title of this blog. The other reason is that other search engines use different criteria for ranking, and one of those criteria is that bloggers sometimes have more freedom of expression than advertisers. 

I always hope I'm providing interesting and valuable information for my readers.  Recently I installed a link so that people who come to the blog through a post that is not the most recent post can go to the top of the blog with a click.  The Google Blogger statistics help me see what posts the readers find most interesting.  Many of my posts are read some time after posting.

I'm also looking more at where the readers are coming from and am composing a Page that lists the countries from which readers approach this site.  I'm always wondering if those readers are interested in or involved in Genealogy research in their own countries, or if they are more interested in the spirituality I present here as an alternative!