03 May 2016

DO LDS MISSIONARIES AT FAMILY HISTORY CENTERS TRY TO CONVERT RESEARCHERS OF OTHER FAITHS?

Q:  My friends say I should start going to the closest Family History Center and order in films (to continue my genealogy research) but I'm not Christian and I hear that the missionaries there try to convert people.  I don't want to be rude but I don't want to talk religion.  I just want to do my work.
Do they really do that?

Michelle


A:  I think they do pray for people who are doing research at the Family History Centers when they go on breaks in the back room and take an active interest in you and your religious beliefs.  But that doesn't mean you have to bring it up or get into it with anyone. 

When you walk in they often ask if you are member of the church or not.  Answer honesty.  They're collecting stats on usage of the centers.  Also they have some resources that are open ONLY TO CHURCH MEMBERS and you have to respect that.  Additionally, we respect their religion and lifestyle beliefs by dressing modestly and not bringing coffee or caffeinated  tea or soda drinks with us when we bag our lunches.  We try to keep the area we're working in clean and neat and obey the rules of the library.

But then when you say no, you are NOT LDS,  they know then that you are not a member of LDS.  I can't say for sure that they will or won't try to convert  you, but the next questions is not "and so what religion are you?"  AS I UNDERSTAND IT, by opening those research centers that are so vital to many of us to EVERYONE, they are supposed to JUST LET YOU RESEARCH.  If anything the libraries are great PR for the church, because just about everyone (I say that having encountered a few stinkers over the years) that works there has been CHOSEN for a SPECIAL MISSION.  These people feel honored.  Many of them finance their own apartments to live away from their homes for a couple years in order to be there and be helpful.  Some are or have become expert genealogists, others not so much.

I know that many genealogy clubs and groups come into research, such as the local Jewish genealogy group, and don't seem to have any religious conflicts or issues.  I would like to think that is always the case, and that one of the things genealogy research teaches us is a respect for different beliefs and cultures.

These days due to the availability of some of the same electronic resources available at LDS at other libraries and societies, much of  your research work can be done without going to LDS but the microfilms they have are of great value!

AWG