02 February 2018

DEFENDING GENEALOGY

There are many reason's why people do genealogy research, for themselves and for others.  Like many people who are self taught professionals, personal research was the start for me, back in the day before Internet and databases, and I still use the old resources.  Came the day when I was up against a "brick wall," on my personal research.  I had to wait a while for the information I needed to reach me.  And while I was waiting I started working on a friend's genealogy because I just needed to keep learning.

Not all projects I do turn into books.  Sometimes I work only on a specific question.

Recently I found myself having to defend my love of genealogy and the time I put into it (which is not excessive.)  Oh, I knew this person was ignorant but I also sensed she was  afraid.  I was put down.  Things said to me included, "I think anyone who has to go to the library three days in a row is weird."  "Who cares about the past? I live in the present."  and "You know how you write letters? Well, write nothing about us."

I'll start with that last one.

My experience as a professional and with other professionals is that they respect privacy more than your average person.  They sometimes sign confidentiality agreements (usually when working for someone famous).  There is a lot of information out there for free or for cheap these days and an average person can find out a whole lot about someone else without their permission.  There are criminals who use that information.  Let's just say that I am as careful as I can be to keep a project within the confines of the family I'm working for and with.  However, I've had the experience of the family then doing what they want with that information, usually making copies for their relatives.  I do have to write letters to a client's relations at times.  They know it's a professional asking for information and they know who has hired me and so on, so it up to them to not respond.  (That has happened, even when it was important, and I don't pester.)

As for "living in the past," I think it is quite possible to be curious about ancestors and how they lived and to do some research around their times and place, society and culture, without actually living in their past.  Since we do not yet have a time machine to transport those now living into the past, of course it is impossible.  Then there are people who are such aficionados of an era that they do everything possible to live in it to escape the present as much as possible.  There are fans of the 1930's and fans of the 1950's who own cars, decorate houses, and wear the clothes of their era. They might shun the Internet and cell phones!  I love DNA science and anthropology and archaeology and, as my readers know, I'm also fascinated with past life regression and that the soul chooses to incarnate repeatedly.

As for myself, those who know me know I am also very interested and concerned about the future, in particular the ecosphere of our planet, beginning with my own neighborhood.

As for weird, you might find this weird but I could easily research far more than three days a week, and sometimes I have.  On one project I did three twelve hour days because there was a legal deadline involved.  I am never bored by this research.  I am enlivened by it.  Often there is something of helping people involved in it.

So let me get to the FEAR, since this person is a relative by marriage.

I have been pondering why a particular person may not want to know of ancestors or relations who are not in their immediate presence or memory. Perhaps in some way such a person is overwhelmed with the ones she knows and can't imagine having to include even more people into her worries or around the holiday table.  Because of her attitude I am no longer showing her any of the documents I found.  I know at least one of her grandchildren are interested and the day will come when it is proper to present this grandchild with her genealogy.  I personally have thought of some of my ancestors as incredibly strong people because I learned about the things they had lived through and because I discovered the role of religion and faith in their fortitude!   ... Just about every family has some secret or scandal or someone they don't like for whatever reason...

C 2018  Ancestry Worship BlogSpot  All Rights Reserved