26 December 2018

FINDING A PLACE TO KILL TIME ON CHRISTMAS DAY - IT'S DIFFICULT FOR THOSE WITHOUT A HOME

I'm reminded of this because yesterday, Christmas, I had an event to go to that went from about noon until 2 PM, and then another that started at about 6 PM.  As a result, I had four hours to "kill" because I didn't want to turn it around and commute home, only to pit stop and go out again.  I had a small suitcase and my dog and her carrier with me.  For some reason I thought McDonalds was open on Christmas and headed there on foot, only to find it locked up, as it should be, I suppose. 

I rarely eat at McDonalds but I do like their basic coffee, not too fancy or expensive. The McDonalds I go to has an outdoor area that is OK for tying up the dog, clean bathrooms (always a plus), and is forgiving about hanging out. I've been in there a number of times with my dog in her carrier; she sleeps in it and no one has questioned it.

So we crossed the street and walked to a Starbucks, a small shop that was open. The wind was kicking up and though my dog had on a sweater and I had on leggings under my slacks and layered tops and a hat to keep me warm, I didn't like the idea of sitting outside there for a couple hours. I also didn't like the price on their basic coffee which was more than double that of McDonald's. I went in and asked if I could bring the dog in, in her carrier, and the talk of  making a "special exception" was a turn off.  What if she were a service dog?  I wasn't asked.

At this point we had walked a mile easy. There were some people sitting waiting for buses on the main street. A man without a coat or hat in a wheel chair rode over to me and asked "Do you know anywhere there's food?" He meant free food.  Actually I did know a place that was having a potluck.  A friend who is a member of AA told me they were having an inclusive event, no need to go to a meeting or be a member.  I told him how to get there.

My dog and I continued to walk to an old shopping district that was mostly closed up. As we went we saw so many people who were clearly homeless on the street, bundled up. 

Each and every one of them has a life story.

Each and every one of them was born to parents, alive or dead now, and was or is part of a family.

We found a small, old, independent coffee house open there. No problem about my dog in her carrier. We walked in and ordered a tea, then found a table to share. Though there were some writers on lap tops sitting here and there and there was a television on, there were also obviously homeless people sleeping sitting up. God Bless the owner.  He decided that he would "see how it goes" before making a decision to close up at 7 PM.

I told the clerk I would be hanging out, waiting for a ride to a party, and he nodded.  He had probably heard and seen it all. I tried to keep busy.  I did a little list making, this and that, but mostly I felt bored and lonely. I texted the friend who was having the party to let her know where I was. Shortly she sent a relative over to pick me up around 5:30, as their location is high up and a bit obscure. When he walked in, it was as if the others were startled. When he walked in, what I told them all, that I was just there waiting, turned out to be true.

The party was wonderful.  Possibly one of the best Christmas evenings I've had, and it was so good to be surrounded by other people who were also enjoying themselves in a beautiful home that was welcoming and warm.  My dog fell asleep under a table, after I mixed some stew meat in with her kibble.

And so I was thinking about Mary and Joseph, and no room at the inns.

About Jesus being laid into a manger (a cow feed bin) after his birth. 

Exhausted travelers on a budget far from home, on foot, not quite homeless as we know it to be now.

C 2018 Ancestry Worship Genealogy BlogSpot  All Rights Reserved