05 January 2019

STARTING THE YEAR OUT WITH NATIVE AMERICAN GENEALOGY QUESTIONS


NATIVE KNOT: Native American Tribal Registration

Two people have asked me to help them with Native American genealogy to prove they should be members of tribes - One Seneca and the other Kiowa. In the past I mentioned that tribes usually expect 16% genetic link - as proven by genealogy documents not DNA - which means one great grandparent or two great great grandparents.  However, I discovered this is NOT the case with the Seneca or the Kiowa. I wonder if it's changed since the days when I sat in on Native American classes at my local LDS Family History library.

I found this web site that has informational links to SOME - not all - of the many Native American tribes that did or do exist. Also there are some generally small groups of Native Peoples that are still fighting for governmental recognition as a tribe for all the benefits possible.

Take a look and see if the tribe you're interested in is listed!