13 July 2019

ACROSS THE WIDE AND LONESOME PRAIRIE by KRISTIANA GREGORY : SUMMER READING at ANCESTRY WORSHIP - GENEALOGY

Image result for across the wide and lonesome prairie


I just came across the DEAR AMERICA series of books, each a diary of a girl, researched by the author, researched and written to be historically correct.  First I thought, "I'll read this book so I can research it for my blog, Ancestry Worship - Genealogy," but I got so into it I forgot to feed the dog.  

Hattie Campbell, the "author" of this one goes with her family on a six month journey to Oregon on the Oregon trail and all around her people are dying, being born, stealing, dancing, marrying (at 14 years old), suffering, hoping and healing. There is much to risk and much to loose. The scenery is beautiful but treacherous. Follow along as the animals give out, people drown crossing rivers, and the wagon train parallels and then briefly joins the Mormons across the country and some decide upon California, fearful that if they don't cross the mountains in time they will end up like the Donner Party - cannibals


C 2019  Ancestry Worship - Genealogy BlogSpot.