20 April 2020

THE WOMEN WHO WERE WIDOWED WHEN THE TITANIC SANK

DAILY MAIL - ONE WRITER (JULIE COOK) TRACES HER OWN GRANDMOTHERS EXPERIENCE AS WINDOW OF TITANIC VICTIM

Excerpt :  All Emily could do was waite4 her turn to reach the front.  Emily Bessant, then 38, was my great grandmother.

In the grainy black and white photographs I've seen of her, she appears stern-faced: a cold, unemotional woman.

I don't know if she wept that day.  I;m an eternal optimist and, if that runs in my family, I imagine her more likely hoping against hope that William would, indeed, come home.

Sadly, he never did.  OF the estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard the Titanic, more than 1,500 died.

The not knowing must have been agonizing.  And a couple of weeks after the tragedy, Emily received a letter stating that William, 40, had been 'lost at sea.'