28 October 2020

SEEING THE UNSEEN : RAYMOND MOODY and THE PSYCHOMANTEUM

SEEING THE UNSEEN : THE HISTORY OF USING CLEAR DEPTH GAZING FOR AFTER DEATH COMMUNICATION

Dr. Raymond Moody is famous for his lifes' work on the dying and the dead.  He focused as a psychiatrist on those who could not let go of grief and who wish to communicate with a loved one who has passed on.

I once attended a grief support group and found myself to be one of the least grief-stricken among the others. Perhaps it was because I had accepted that the person who died would die, though I didn't think so young. Several in the group had lost the person they had long been married to and were having a difficult time adjusting, though no one there wanted that person to be in any more physical pain. There was one woman though who had a father who had commit suicide.  He had long been troubled and she was an adult who had never been close with her father.  Soon enough I learned that this woman would show up late, though she'd call to say she was on her way, and as soon as she walked in, she got everyone attention.  Though she might appear with a smile, she would seemingly go into a deep depression in front of us.  I'll admit that I began to suspect that she needed to be in psychiatric care and that this support group was just not enough for her. It was run by a well meaning woman who was very religious and who said she'd had some training.  I felt that this woman showing up late was an attention grab.  Perhaps she would not let go her grief, and depression was something she had inherited. I thought of that experience as I watched this film/

A psychomanteum is a special room, pitch black and fitted with mirrors and a comfortable chair, where people can go to see their dead loved ones.  It sounds spooky.  It comes from the ancient Greeks who had a pilgrimage site where they went through a ritual to prepare them for the experience.  Moody takes you to the archaeological site and explains what happens.

It is helpful psychologically to have the experience, which is not guaranteed.  Still, some people report what I'll call a manifestation.  Clouds, mist, images, sometimes a sound.  (No one reports having an actual conversation.)  Moody does not explain in this film how or why this works for some,only that it can be healing.

I found this all quite interesting and think you will too.

I understand there is a book with the same title that tells you how to build your own psychomanteum.


C 2020  Ancestry Worship - Genealogy