02 February 2022

IS THERE ANYWHERE TO GET GOOD FREE FAMILY PEDIGREE CHARTS TO ORGANIZE MY WORK : QUESTION FROM READER

Question from a Reader via Comments

You seem to be against posting your research on databases. I used to be able to pick up charts free or maybe pay ten cents a piece for them at the LDS.  Where can I find good old fashioned free paper charts for my research?

Answer from Ancestry Worship - Genealogy BlogSpot

I agree that keeping organized is essential for genealogy researchers and family historians. It helps you avoid repeating research you've already done and if you step away from it for a while it will help you pick up where you started. 

On line I found some good free charts from THE NATIONAL GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY that are as free as the cost of printing them. 

There are others available online. I find I have to adapt charts for my own use.

I once saw an amazing chart that a man had hand designed, a fan chart that he set up on an easel with a family crest (coat of arms) in the center.  I love the visuals!  It gives a good perspective.

Since my personal research goes back more than three generations, all my research would not fit neatly on one page but at the same time, it's the format that works best for binders.  So I might modify a predesigned chart.  Also, I always include any siblings of various persons and information on their marriages as well as those who are never married and were without children.  I don't want to forget that they too lived and contributed to the family and are part of the lineage. I find family group sheets are best for that.  Using family group sheets and handwriting discoveries on them helped me both find and eliminate families in pre-database days. I still do this.

C 2022 Ancestry Worship - Genealogy BlogSpot