03 April 2022

1950 CENSUS : SECOND TRY : ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE INDEX : THE GREATEST GENERATION LEAVING URBAN AREAS FOR THE SUBURBS

I've just gone into my previous posts about the SPECIAL BABY CENSUS and the SPECIAL NATIVE AMERICAN CENSUS and added some updates... You can easily find those in the posts below.

****** 

Between the 1940 and the 1950 great numbers of people left urban environments and ghettoized ethnic living and so it is more likely that on this 1950 you will have to look for changes in address and possibly a different Enumeration District than on the 1940. So, though you may find the ED district for the 1950 is simply numbered differently from the 1940, and that ancestors are living in the same house or neighborhood, you may not, and be dependent on finding them via indexing.

To sample, I looked into the census for MICHIGAN, Wayne County, in the Detroit and Dearborn eras.  I didn't like it when I found so very many of hits were first names. This was frustrating because I was searching for a surname which is sometimes a given name. Dozens of pages came up. I was not able to find the people I was seeking. The question is, will I wait until INDEXING PROJECTS do a better job of  indexing than the artificial intelligence? What if this family were not counted? I suppose it is a matter of having time.

The Motor City, as Detroit was called, had been the scene of industrial age employment for recent immigrants in earlier years, many of whom were able to purchase houses. This was considered good employment and did not require academic education.; for many workers the goal was to send their children to college. (Employment in the auto manufacturing industry was viable for decades, until Americans started buying Japanese.) It was also a place where with this type of employment, one could buy a home. There was a vast expansion of housing - single family homes - after World War II  also because veterans could acquire low interest home loans on the GI bill. 

The eye is drawn to the BOLDED HITS.  If you look a little closer you will see that there ARE surnames listed, and what follows are the first/given names of the people living in the house who are under that surname.  So SMITH, John is the head of household, and Catherine, Marie, and John Jr. are the wife and children.  If you happen to be looking for someone with the surname John or the like, you may have quite a bit to look through. Still, taking this into consideration, I was not able to find the people I was looking for.

I want to find these people, although they are not my direct genetic bloodline, because they are still related to me. They are relations because they are descended from my parent's siblings. Though I would not include them on charts of direct descent to me, the are directly descended from the same immigrants and properly belong on charts from that point.

C 2022 Ancestry Worship Genealogy