18 January 2023

A DISCUSSION ABOUT DNA PRIVACY (THERE ARE MANY WAYS TO BE FAMILY)


The arrest of the man alleged to have murdered the four Idaho college students is said to have been achieved through, among other things, DNA testing. I would love to know which DNA testing databases sold for GENEALOGY purposes were used to identify his DNA at the crime scene. Although we like the fact that DNA can free someone who is not guilty but sentenced and imprisoned, or because of arrest and imprisonment, not commit a crime again, this is a discussion we need to have.

I'm often asked if I have done DNA genealogy for myself and family.  The answer is no.  I'm satisfied with what genealogy research tells me at this point.  

Thinking about the reveals that various people have told me (not a huge poll, I realize) when they hear I'm a genealogist, I would say about half have had some mind-challenging result, from discovering one was adopted and not actually blood-line wise, Native American, to that grandma had an affair and the family genetically belongs to a different Scottish clan.

Let's pause a moment and think about WHAT CREATES A FAMILY.  And for some of us it's about CHOICE.  There are many people who have not or will not marry and have children, and these people in the past were often not included on genealogy charts because - well - they had not reproduced.

Also for me, I knew that my family was ethnically mixed while still in Europe and if you find that your family came from the noble or aristocratic class back in the day the chances are greater that your ancestors traveled far for marriages.  

We must also look at the fact that countries and borders that are in place now, were not always.  People identified themselves as belonging to an ethic group or a locality group and there were disputes.  An area that is mostly Germany but with a high population of French.  An area that is now in Romania where most people are Hungarian.  An area that was once Hungary is now Slovakia.  A small portion of Poland that was Hungary.  And so on.  

I realize that when you're hooked on genealogy, you really don't want to quit and DNA may have some answers for you...  I understand, totally, for I too have hit the end of the road on many of my lines.  But in the end, it probably does not matter.

Perhaps one of the reasons I feel this way is that, although I don't know how it works, I am partial to the recycling of souls called "reincarnation."  Perhaps we have the experience of many cultures over time.  I'm also interested in "genetic memory" and the idea that we retain something of our parents and grandparents life experience.

These are my thoughts as we head into 2023...

If this is your first stop to ANCESTRY WORSHIP, welcome!

C 2023 Ancestry Worship - Genealogy BlogSpot