20 May 2009

From PSYCHIC ROOTS by HENRY Z. JONES - HELEN HINCHLIFF's Forward

By Helen Hinchcliff, in PSYCHIC ROOTS - Serendipity & Intuition in Genealogy
by Henry Z. Jones C 1993
published by Genealogical Publishing Co. Inc.

"In 1983, in honor of my recent discovery of genealogy, my brother, Timothy Hinchcliff, made a yarn painting for me entitled Old Soul. Without really knowing a genealogist's sources or methods, Tim used thousands of colored threads to depict his view that I am a sojourner between the living and the dead. Coincidentally, the picture captured the essence of this book. In the lower left corner, lighting my path with magic crystals is Old Soul, most easily imagined as a friendly white ghost. In the center are my ancestors, ranged in a circle. They are connected by a mysterious umbilical cord to Old Soul and to a second circle composed of my living relatives who reside in the upper right corner. Guided by Old Soul, I trace a path between them, learning from each, communing with each."