03 November 2011

FIND A GRAVE VERSUS CEMETERIES OPPORTUNISTICALLY CHARGING FOR DOCUMENTS

FIND A GRAVE is a site that I've found useful, and I'm linking to it (again) here.


I'm concerned about the ethics of volunteers putting personal information up on the Internet without concern for the family's permission, the sense of privacy in death that a love one felt or believed in while alive, and cemeteries allowing the trampling of graves and photography of tombstones (while also asking for fees for genealogy research even when the family has paid for perpetual care!)

Perhaps the trend towards cremation and spreading the ashes on land or at sea will continue not only because it is less expensive and more ecological, but because fewer people believe in a bodily resurrection at Judgement Day.

I feel strongly that if I, as a family member, want copies of documents for my own people in a cemetery that the cemetery should not opportunistically be charging me under the guise of genealogy research. I've encountered that too, and it made me furious. What will be next? DNA evidence that I'm related and have a right to that information?