22 February 2012

ANDY KUBRIN TELLS ABOUT INTERVIEWING RELATIVES

I think Interviewing is one of the Research Skills we should become good at, because it brings the human being and thus story into family history research. So I'm linking to Andy Kubrin's blog. I never met Andy but I met his mom at Skirball, where I went to see and participate in the WOMEN HOLD UP HALF THE SKY EXHIBIT. It was a moving exhibit and afterwards I met this very intelligent woman, a great conversationalist, and we quickly got to genealogy research and history. She told me about her son; Andy is writing family memoirs as well as doing genealogy in Canada and he blogs.

Today I know research methods that would have gotten me to the information I needed. But years ago when I didn't know so much, it was the testimonials of a couple relatives that gave me the spark and encouragement and lead me to my research breaks. Today I also know that some of what these people remembered was incorrect, but then again some of it was to be proven. The way I write the story today is to first tell what I was told and then what I found out.