25 May 2013

FAMILY PHOTOS : THE OKLAHOMA RECORD BUSTING TORNADO

Another natural disaster - another episode of record busting and destructive weather.  I'm not going to get into END TIME predictions here, though I meet people who believe that's where we at - the end of time on earth.  Instead I'd like to say that I think it's fantastic that there is an effort - on FACEBOOK - to reunited people with the family photographs that are being found in rubble, in trees, all over, and sometimes far away from the 17 mile, 1.3 wide path of the Tornado.

(By the way, I notice that Hurricanes/ Super Storms have names but Tornado ands do not!  Why is that?!)

This has gotten me thinking about photographing all my family photos with my digital camera which has a setting called DOCUMENTS, and which allows you to take close up pictures, and holding all of them on a CLOUD or other photograph holding site, so that if ever my own rare family photos are destroyed by fire, flood, earthquake, tornado, etc.  they will be somewhere else.

Of course I've uploaded some photos as I use a FamilySearch product, but my paperwork (handwritten notes, photocopies, etc.) are bountiful and valuable too, and I want to preserve all that so that whomever inherits my research work and family history writing will be able to follow what I did to get to that point. 

And I'm ever more concerned with privacy issues as NO I do not want my photographs to be open to the viewing of anyone else without my knowledge and permission.