18 August 2018

JEFFERSON DAVIS - AN AMERICAN PRESIDENT : DVD FILM REVIEW

JEFFERSON DAVIS - AN AMERICAN PRESIDENT The Life Story of the First and Only President of the Confederacy a Kultur DVD 


ANCESTRY WORSHIP GENEALOGY FILM REVIEW:

This 3 DVD set was so enlightening! I promise I will watch the film in its entirety one more time! I realized just how ignorant I was of the Confederacy. In this portrait of the man, I learned that until the Civil War Davis first and foremost considered himself an AMERICAN. He was an Army officer, a congressman, the Secretary of War, and a two term Mississippi senator, and one of the greats who found the Smithsonian Institute, and "largely responsible" for the current design on the U.S. Capitol. As things turned out Davis was on the wrong side of the Civil War and lead years of life afterwards in which he struggled to support his family or again live to his potential. Jefferson Davis also had a profoundly tragic personal life, like his old colleague Abraham Lincoln. His life spanned that of the 19th century.

_____

Personally, I dislike that various confederacy statues and historical displays are being taken down.  Just because the South lost?  Or because there is an assumption that the South, and all who were on that side, were all about racism - rather than economics. I realize this is not a politically correct opinion, but I think that if this continues, all the California Missions will be taken down too.  Off the go to "graveyards," but some day they will be refound and unveiled; this has happened in other countries.

Leave them up and learn history!  A tour guide can always make such things part of a discussion.  For instance one tour of a California Mission I took was guided by a fake Franciscan Friar in his brown garb with the rope belt and sandals whose personal opinion was against the Catholic Church. Believe it or not.  Yet I've met a couple Native American ancestry people who think that they are better off because they became Catholics - this is Arizona.

GENEALOGY DOCUMENTS sometimes prove that things taught in classrooms are not true.  For instance, I was taught Mexicans and Native Americans were always friends.
Some Americans believe all Native Americans were peaceful and unified when it fact some of them warred with each other.  Some Native Americans owned slaves, some married them, and I've seen that on census records. The Civil War issues split up some families.

So I like to say that history is "niche specific."

C 2018  Ancestry Worship - Genealogy BlogSpot