13 October 2019

NEW MEXICO GENEALOGY - NATIVE AMERICAN - SPANISH - MEXICAN

A friend's son in law comes from New Mexico and says he has heritage that is in part Apache.  He is not a card carrying member of a tribe.  So I watched some videos from the New Mexico genealogy society and I learned that DNA is proving Native Americans strongly on the maternal (mother's side) of New Mexico's people.  It's estimated that 40% of those whose roots are in New Mexico have Native American ancestry.



You can find their educational videos on YouTube.

I have yet been asked to do any research considered to be "Hispanic" but I understand records in Spanish go way back into Spanish America and that some people are traveling to Mexico City to do research.  I don't speak Spanish, but then I don't speak German or Latin or any other language, but I find that it's not so difficult to translate, especially not with all the Internet translators available.

As for his particular Apache tribe, there's more than one possibility. 

MESCALERO APACHE TRIBE   South Central New Mexico

KRQE : FOX : THREE APACHE TRIBES OF NEW MEXICO  This article focuses on where they lived, what they are famous for and  where they live now - it's brief.  EXCERPT: "There are three Native American Apache tribes in New Mexico: the JICARILLA APACHE, located in northern N.M near the Colorado Border; the MESCALERO APACHE, located near Ruidoso, and the FORT SILL APACHE near Deming.

If I remember correctly, the NAVAJO are also an Apache nation.