28 October 2019

ROBERT THE BRUCE OR GERONIMO : GENEALOGY FAMILY MYTHOLOGIES

In the past I've stated that I don't believe we are responsible for what family in the past did or didn't do, good or bad, that we are our own person and responsible as adults here and now for ourselves and our behaviors.  And one of the stereotypes of people interested in genealogy is that they're snobs, seeking only to brag about the accomplishments of their ancestors, particularly if these ancestors are still famous for their deeds. That's not me.  If I found nobility in my family it would prove one thing; that if you have nobility in your family you can usually go further back into your research. Though some of the people in the current generation have noteworthy accomplishments to their credit, no one I know of is famous.

I admit to wondering who of my ancestors, if anyone, I'm like as a personalty and character, and in particular if I look like anyone, since I feel I do not.  I'm also from a family that seems to have no photographs of ancestors and I doubt I will ever see any.  Years ago my snail mail letters to people in old age who I had reason to believe were related were not responded to. I even heard certain members of my family thought my interest in genealogy and family history was "weird."

This brings me to the fact that I have met MANY people who claim to have ROBERT THE BRUCE or GERONIMO as an ancestor. One person claimed she'd actually traced her family back to Robert.  

Much is known historically about both men.  

Robert the Bruce, King of Scotland, left one surviving son named David II when he died in 1329. 

Geronimo, Bedonkohe "Apache" leader of the Chiricahua had many wives - at least five - and died in 1909. Living descendants seem to know who was who if you think you may be related it would seem there are websites where these people have posted that you might be able to join on. 

The last person who told me he was related to the Robert the Bruce was a beginning amateur genealogist who I caught in a number of questionable statements and was probably repeating a family rumor.

The last person who told me she was related to Geronimo had the name of a wife.

I don't want to discourage anyone from loving and learning to research and proof your ancestry, including the oral histories that people have repeated to you. It is usually time consuming and requires fortitude and patience. You have to evaluate other people's work if you link on to it and it is all too easy to believe whatever you see posted.

C 2019  Ancestry Worship - Genealogy BlogSpot